As Jeff noted, we sat down the other night and figured out what the group was interested in doing. Jeff and I will trade off story arcs (probably every 4 sessions or so) in two different games. He’ll be running a pulp SF game in the Buck Rodgers style. I’ll be doing a cyberpunk-fantasy-post-apocalyptic mashup – Shadowrun meets Gamma World. Jeff is going first, which gives me a bit of breathing room to get ready.
Right now, I have elements:
- Giant corporate arcologies – self-sustaining ecosystems that are isolated from the rest of the world.
- Wastelands between the arcologies, devastated by magical disasters and inhabited by strange creatures.
- Tribes living in the wastelands, some clinging to ill-understood bits of civilization.
- Colonies from the arcologies sent out to reclaim Wasteland Zones… and running into trouble.
- PCs as the A-Team – travelling from Zone to Zone within the wasteland – righting wrongs and hunting threats.
- PC ideas: Doug as a rigger – former Deathrace-style driver. Jeff as a heavily-cybered combat vet, struggling to maintain his humanity in a post-human body (or at least afford treatment for cyberpsychosis).
- Inspirational material – Television: Ark II, the A-Team
- Inspirational material – RPGs: Shadowrun, Gamma World, Ex Machina, Paranoia (setting more than tone), Cyberpunk 2020
- Inspirational material – books: Hardwired, The Book of the New Sun, A Canticle for Liebowitz, In the Drift
- Inspirational material – movies: Six-String Samurai, A Boy and His Dog, Logan’s Run, The Road Warrior
- Inspirational material – other: Fallout
- Other inspiration? Ideas welcome…
Things I know I need to figure out:
- PC motivation/organizational affiliation
- System – Shadowrun is the obvious choice for me, but there’s a temptation to do something pulpier… and adapt Spirit of the Century
- How to maintain a mission-of-the-week feel